Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Volcanoes and Vacations

Hey everyone its the crystal chick! ok so I'm pretty sure you guessed from the title, but this post is about lava. Well, its cooled forms anyway. Once it is cooled, lava can take on many different forms, such as various crystals, a type of glass called obsidian, and pumice or basalt.

This is what you generally think of when you see a volcanic rock right? well that's not all there is to volcanic rocks.


This is one of my favorite volcanic rocks. Its either called olivine or peridot, and is the birthstone of August. It is normally green with black pieces in it. I actually almost went to a place in Hawaii that had a beach entirely made of olivine. ALMOST. Well, I wish I did. It was "too hard of a hike" for my 8 year old sister with asthma, and since I couldn't go down the mile long, extremely steep hike alone, I didn't get to go.

This is volcanic glass, also known as obsidian. I actually did go to a beach made of this on my trip. it was called Punalu'u Beach and the entire beach was pitch black.

See what I mean by pitch black? This was a picture I sent to my best friend when I was at the beach sitting in the sand. I was watching the sea turtles sleeping on the sand and when the tide came up, they let the water carry them back to the ocean.

Ok, little off topic there, but I just thought I would share my relevant experiences on Tuesdays and have my "featured rock" on Fridays. This post is combined because sorry I was busy on Tuesday (too much homework ugh) and couldn't find time to post.
Sneak peek into next week: it's striped,curly,curvy,or straight and it comes in all the colors of the rainbow!

~~~Rockhound out!~~~

4 comments:

  1. Obsidian's got to be one of my favorite rocks. Did you know, people make expensive blades and cutlery with obsidian?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I wanted to get an obsidian bladed knife at the rock show last year but I wasn't allowed to. :/ My mom said it was "too dangerous to have around the house". Well then.

      Delete
  2. That black sand is crazy!! I'ts so cool that you're so passionate about this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can bring a little bit of the black sand to class sometime if you want me to. I brought a little bit home with me on the plane:).

      Delete