Thursday, October 10, 2013

Perfect Pyrite

What up crystals! Ok so this post's featured rock has got to be one of my absolute favorites of all time. Even though it is normally called by its more common name "fool's gold" it is actually its very own kind of rock. You guessed it, its Pyrite!


One of the things I love about this so much is how many different shapes it can take and still be the same rock! These pictures of cube pyrite occur like this in nature all on its own, and it wasn't carved or anything!

So this is a picture of one of my favorite rocks that I have in my collection. It's fluorite(purple) with quartz(white) and Druzy pyrite(gold) on it. Druzy just means it is a bunch of small crystalline structures bunched together. 

 Sneak peek into next week: Its black, grey or green, or somewhere in between, and can be rough or smooth all over. Try to figure that one out! See you next week I post every Tuesday and Friday!

~~~Rockhound out!~~~


4 comments:

  1. These crystals are cool! I like the name of your blog. Good wording. I'm terrible at geology so this will be a great learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow now im actually interested in rocks becasue of your blog...I like the name of your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like ur blog its so unique! Great info It's really interesting..nice post title

    ReplyDelete